unforgettable weekend

Monday, February 11, 2008 tnguyen308 1 Comments

Where do I begin? It all started on Wednesday, when I felt a slight pain in my stomach, only thinking it was heartburn. So, I popped two tums and it felt better. Sweet. I wake up on Thursday and ouch, pain already. Popped two tums right away and went to work. I was still hurting, so two more tums. I was going good until lunch time. I couldn't even finish my lunch before popping two more tums. I couldn't figure it out. Why was I having such horrible heartburn. I was trying to remember what I've been eating the last few days and nothing really added up. But for the rest of the day, I felt fine. Then driving home, eek, the pain shot up and and down my stomach like crazy, so two more tums. I was thinking, dang, what is wrong with me?

It was dinner time and I decided to make soup with rice since my stomach was not feeling too hot. It tasted great until I was half-way through my meal and I couldn't finish it due to more pain in my stomach. Ouch! More tums and laying down. I've never felt this much pain. Dude, it hurts! I think I had a total of 10 tums on Thursday. I think that's considered an overdose. ;)

I went to bed early that night because I just wasn't feeling well. Chills throughout my body as well as sharp pains up and down my chest. Thursday night I did not get much sleep, mainly tossing and turning and lots of crying. Poor Phi, I felt so bad for him because there was nothing he could do to make me feel better. I couldn't breathe, when I coughed it hurt like crazy and when I had to blow my nose, I thought I was going to pass out. Around 6 o'clock, Phi called our primary care to see what time they opened, and it wasn't until 9 am. I decided I could wait it out because urgent care would be way too expensive. I tried to sleep until then, but ended up waking up at 8 with more pain. I called into work letting them know I would be in after the docs if it wasn't so bad. Little did I know how my weekend would be.

Finally, 9 o'clock rolled around and we went to the docs. I could not stand up straight for the life of me and boy did I look horrible. The doctor could not do a full evaluation of me because I was so tense and sensitive. My stomach hurt with the slightest touch to it. He suspected that I had gallbladder stones due to the sensitivity and location of the pain. Because of this, he suspected that I may need surgery to remove my gallbladder. I was not ready for surgery. We thought it was really bad gas or indigestion. Surgery was the last thing on our minds. I was checked into the Christus St. Catherine Hospital in Katy immediately. It is a beautiful hospital, very pleasant and inviting, unlike most hospitals I've been to. Voted best place to work in 2007. Their big thing is customer service and it showed.

I was checked into room 278 and not allowed any food or water until they figured out what I needed. I got hooked up to the IV and finally got some good pain meds.

Man, I really don't like hospitals.

I meant the general surgeon, Dr. Tran and he suggested I get a CT Scan to see what's going on in my tummy there. Around 3 o'clock I went for my first test, x-rays, I guess to see if I broke any bones. My brothers came to visit and I know how much they hate hospitals as well. It was very sweet of them and they bought food for Phi to munch on. Phi and I pretty much slept until I had to go for my CT scan. Shoot, I was tired!

Then, for my CT scan, since I'm allergic to iodine, I had to drink this horrible contrast so my organs will glow for the scan. Two water bottles of crystal light with splenda and some horrible meds to make me glow. Gross, gross, gross!!!! I had to drink the two bottles within 3o minutes then wait 2+ hours for it to get through my system. It was so gross, but I was so thirsty. So, I drank and drank until it was all gone. Yuck! Finally, around 5:30 I was taken to get my CT scan. Only 5 mintues of breathe, don't breathe. Cute little icons on the machine as well to remind you of what to do. Yeah, all done, now can I eat??? Nope, I still need an ultrasound of my gallbladder. Now, this part, Phi loved. He said the machine looked like Rob the robot. I have no idea what he's talking about, but he did get a picture of it. Silly man!

By this time, Dan and Jess came to visit, brining lots of goodies for us. So sweet of them! Back comes my surgeon to tell me that the CT scan and ultra sound came back and he doesn't think it's my gallbladder or appendix but he wants to do one more test to rule out the gallbladder. He suspects that I may have ulcers but cannot be sure until Can I eat or drink anything now? Yeah, only water until midnight. H2O never tasted better!

It's Saturday morning and I haven't eaten anything since Thursday evening. 24 hours without food, now that's crazy talk since I love me some food. Now, my daddy came to visit and he hates hospitals. He's very glad to see me and gave Phi and me some li si for Chinese New Year's. Yeah, free money! :) Around 10 o'clock, I go and have my scan for my gallbladder. It takes 1 full hour of laying there and not moving my tummy. I just slept and jerked a bit. Still not able to drink or eat. Going on 24+ hours of no food. Almost 48 hours, I've never gone that long without food. Now it was time for my Upper Endoscopy, where they take this tube with a camera at the end to look inside my esphogaus and stomach area. The only thing I remember is being sprayed with something in my mouth twice and someone asking me to wake up. Was the test over? I guess so. The diagnosis, 4 ulcers total, 2 in my stomach and 2 in my duodenum. No wonder I was in so much pain. The cause, they think it's from my RA medications, but yet to be determined.

Sweet, sweet Ashley offered to stay with me while Phi went home to shower, eat and pick up some more things since I had to stay another day for observation. I finally got to eat! Yeah. 1.5 hours shy of 48 hours. Now, that was close. I was able to eat cream of mushroom soup, vanilla ice cream, popsicle, iced tea and some soy milk. As you can see, an all liquid diet. Still, food.

By the time Phi got back, his family came to visit. They brought some food for Phi and made sure I was doing okay.

I was finally discharged on Sunday around 1 pm. It should take about 8 weeks for my ulcers to heal. That means bland foods for awhile. It still hurts when I eat. I have to take in smaller portions and eat very slowly. While I was in the hospital, my knee swelled up to the size of a softball and my head got congested, maybe from all the crying. Please pray for me to have a speedy recovery!

Thank you for all the well wishes and prayers. Special thanks to Dan, Jess, the Twins, Ashley and Phi. Phi, you are my rock. Without you, I would not be. Thank you for being there when I needed you the most! I love you!

1 comments :

Hope you are feeling better! I'll sing you soothing rock band songs next time we hang out.