Home Study Interview Completed

Wednesday, April 03, 2013 tnguyen308 0 Comments

It had been a whirlwind of a weekend before our Monday appointment. We had our annual relay race, where we use our house as headquarters, with a total of 17 people coming in and out during the entire weekend. I was totally nervous about the house being clean but I had nothing to fear. We have an amazing team and they were sweet enough to clean the house from top to bottom without a fuss. They wanted the interview to go well for us and we appreciate their support.

We had no idea what to expect for the interview. I wasn't sure of what to wear much less the questions that were going to be asked. The social worker arrived promptly at 9:30 am, and luckily for us, she made the experience as comfortable as possible. She's had over 25 years of experience, helping in over 1,000 adoptions. We were in good hands.

The interview started with both of us being asked a series of questions. How did we meet? What are our strengths and weaknesses? How do we plan on discipling our child? Questions that weren't too difficult to answer since we've already discussed most of these things before.

The second part of the process was to interview us separately. This was the part I was most nervous about. I'm glad the hubby let me go first because I would have definitely had my ear pressed to the door, anxious to know what was going on. These questions consisted of my upbringing. Did my parents love each other? What I would like to teach our child? Who was most influential in my life? This was the question that made me tear up. Growing up, my mother and I didn't have the closest relationship. You could say we had the typical mother-daughter relationship. It wasn't until I graduated high school that I realized how great my mom really was. It was devastating when we lost her in 2005 but I know she is always with me. From the food that I make and the bags that I create, her spirit lives in me.

The last part was the home tour. Like I said earlier, we had 17 people in the house less than 24 hours before the interview but by the looks of the house, you couldn't even tell. The social worker gave the house a thumbs up.

And now we wait. We wait for her to write-up the interview, send it to the agency then send it to Moldova for approval. We wait.

0 comments :